[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids in the Great White North...

Greetings all,

Just watching the weather forecasts here.... fingers crossed!!

I haven't seen a clear sky in <over a week> here, just solid cloud and rain
and snow and wind...  There was a brief teasing sunset Saturday night before
it clouded up again for more snow...

However, being the eternal optimist, my little truck is all loaded up with
my observing gear, and gassed up and ready to go!  I am just putting some
film in my cameras, and setting my clocks to UT.  I checked out a new
observing site on Sunday morning, closer than my other options... and will
probably head out there tonight to wait...

I gave a talk on meteors and astronomy to a grade 6 class this morning.  It
was fun, and the kids had a lot of good questions on Leonids and Geminids.
I think the neatest question came when I played part of my Leonid tape for
them.  One of the girls asked why there weren't minus meteors when the
activity started picking up.  I explained that the storm component was
comprised mainly of fainter meteors, and that the brightnesses picked up
later in the night.  These kids may be 11 and 12 years old, but they are
pretty sharp!  I also took in several meteorites for them to pass around and
look at, and they were really interested.  It was a good experience for me
too...

I gave them each a set of star maps - and had them mark the Geminid radiant
on so they can all go out and look for meteors tonight!  I assured the
teacher that there was a good chance of it clearing up, in spite of the fact
that it was snowing outside as I was speaking...! ;>

And... I think there is a good chance.  That huge north-south cloud system
is moving eastward, no doubt engulfing poor New England.  However, I think
the Ottawa and Kingston regions may just catch some skies on the western
side of that... enough for perhaps <just> tonight, but that's all we need.
And, hey... I have a whole grade 6 class up here trying to blow those clouds
away! ;>>

Clear skies to all!

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada