[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Report

Well, we did observe the Geminids, but this report will be anything but
scientific and there probably was not any Teff observing being done!Our
session began at 8:00pm(CST) and ended at 9:45pm(CST). I had approximately
52 7th and 8th graders and four or five parents who had never even seen the
constellations before!!! We did count 50 GEMS and 25 sporadics that did not
trace back to the radiant during that 1 hour and forty-five minute period.
Our limiting magnitude was most likely 6. Most of the meteors we saw were
of a magnitude of 1 or more. There was one spectacular fire ball of a mag
of Jupiter and it lasted for about five seconds with a rather large tail. I
felt the trip was a success, because the children wanted to know when we
were going again and at least two more parents wanted to know what type of
telescope to buy? I plan to do some varialbe star observing and some more
teaching observing during the next few months, but I will go with fewer
children and more adults so they can do some actual viewing and not just
the excitement of the first experience. Thank you for all your help and I
really appreciate being a part of this international group and reading all
the letters and answers.
Stephanie Hobrock/Central Illinois