[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Geminids 13/14 December 1999

Combining the results from 2 observers, with me as recorder we counted 114
meteors in a 1 hour period from 23:05-00:05 last night (13/14 December
1999). I also observed from 05:30-07:00 this morning 13/14 December but have
recorded the observations and have not played them back yet.
I saw an unusual Geminid this morning. It appeared as a  roughly second
magnitude short greenish coloured train with no visible meteor at the head,
a sort of "ghost" meteor. It travelled from the sickle of Leo to the east
stars of Leo about 20 degrees and was a Geminid. It was on the slow side but
no slower than some other ordinary Geminids.  The only vaguely similar
object I can recall is an observation from the Geminids 5 or 6 years ago,
except the "ghost" meteor was elongated and not a blob like the red object.

>"The meteor was a Geminid. It appeared as a small red  blob a very few arc
minutes across. I did not record >any great difference in speed from the
rest of the shower but cannot really comment on its speed as I did not
>record it." As I remember the red meteor started as an ordinary looking
meteor which expanded but my notes >don't record this.

Nick

Nick Martin, Bonnyton House, By Ayr, Ayrshire KA6 7EW ,Scotland, UK.
 Latitude 55 24'56" Longtitude 4 26' 00".