[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) More on LM estimates and sources of error in ZHRs

Lew wrote,
>Note also that though LM estimates ARE highly subject to error, it would not be
>strictly correct to call them "subjective" as Rob does. Nor would I expect
>shower association to be quite as significant an error source as Rob suggests,
>at least under conditions where many meteors per hour were being recorded and
>they were predominantly from ONE shower...
>
>However, his point is very strong regarding meteor magnitude estimates: these
>are highly subjective, and their accuracy probably varies from hour to hour and
>from sky region to region for a given observer. That is why making significant
>use of magnitude distributions in ZHR calculations seems like an inherently
>problematic - but also a probably necessary - endeavor?

I agree with Lew's comments but was a little surprised at all the comments
above he attributed to me.  These appear to be from the message that I
have included below.

As it happens, I did refer to "subjective" assessment of lim mag, but that
was an unfortunate shorthand and Lew is correct in pulling me up on that.
The point I was intending to make was that lim mag estimates will involve
error (= uncertainty) and this contributes to the overall error.  Marco
and Peter Bus also pointed out to me that the limiting magnitude estimates
do no necessarily relate to the observed rates; one observer could record
less stars but see more meteors.

Lew's other point with regard to incorrect assignment of meteors to a
shower was on the assumption that I was referring periods of high rates,
in which case I mostly agree.  However I was writing in general.  A formal
error can be calculated from the number of shower meteors seen and is
based on these meteors being a true sample of the shower.  However,
mistakes in shower assignment add to the overall error and for minor
showers could be very significant.  There are two aspects to this;
the chance alignment of sporadics or other shower meteors with the
radiant of another shower or simple mistakes.  There are lots of ways this
could  happen from incorrect knowledge of radiant position through not
correcting for radiant drift and zenithal attraction, an inappropriate
radiant diameter, meteor seen in periphery etc.  There is also the problem
with VERY high rates in the inability to correctly count all the meteors
that can be seen.

I hope this doesn't sound like being negative.  Visual meteor observations
are an important method of gauging shower activity, but a realistic error
analysis (uncertainty) that may give substantially larger errors than are
often suggested, should not be seen as downgrading their value.  This
enhances their value through better representing the reality.

Cheers, Rob