[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Louisiana meteor

Hello, list:

I am getting reports about a meteor and possible meteorite impact in
southeastern Louisiana near the towns of Larose and Cutoff in Lafourche
Parish.  A meteor that appeared to split was reported at 7:55 PM CST on
Sunday night (December 26), and the local Sheriff's Department and the
Coast Guard reported finding a burned area "about a mile long."  It's
not clear whether this is a round area or a strip (I haven't had a
chance to call the Sheriff yet), and there's no information about the
magnitude or direction of motion of the meteor itself.

On this limited information, it doesn't really sound like an actual
meteorite impact, but has anyone else got any further information about
this?  Is anyone on the list in a position to have seen it?  Thanks for
any help you can give.

Happy New Year everyone!

Dave