[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Way Off topic - charitable star purchases (he he;>)

          Felix, this is your lucky day!   Man, oh man, have I got a DEAL for
you!  Just so happens that Polaris, Deneb, and SIRIUS,
yes, SIRIUS, are currently being mortgaged at incredible discount rates by, of
all people, NASA, in order to pay for their currently underfunded internet
public science programs!  Why have a 21st magnitude telescopic wannabe when you,
yes, YOU can own SIRIUS, the Jewel of the Pharoahs, the brightest danged mass of
hydrogen visible in the night sky!  Of course, stars like these aren't cheap,
but YOU'RE WORTH IT!  Check out these prices (subject to change without notice!)

Sirius -- $23,999.99
Polaris -- $17.599.99
Deneb -- $9,999.99

Act now and buy all three, and Canopus is yours FREE!

All interested parties may E-mail me privately for purchasing information.  And
don't worry, I'll make sure NASA gets the money!
P. T. Youmans

C.L. Hall wrote:

> Felix et al -
>
> Thought I would reply to this star naming thing... seeing as how you
> appended my 'Merry Christmas' meteorobs note to the end of your inquiry! 8>
>
> Most of the groups out there doing this are in it just for the money - they
> have no right to claim a star is named after you.  They just collect the
> bucks for themselves.
>
> However... there are some observatories and science centres (at least in
> Canada) that have decided to do something along this line as a charitable
> fundraiser.  One of these is Queens University in Kingston, Ontario, which
> has been using funds from star 'purchases' to upgrade its telescope
> facilities.  Purchasers can pick a star to 'buy' (stars keep their own
> names), get a nice certificate in that regard (for themselves or as a gift
> for someone else) - and a Canadian tax receipt for income tax purposes.  The
> receiver of the certificate gets a novel gift... knowing that it is for a
> charitable cause.  It is made clear that the star 'purchase' is not really
> 'real', but for worthwhile fundraising.
>
> So... do not write off all the groups who do this.  Some do represent the
> truth, and use this as a unique astronomical fundraiser.
>
> Clear skies,
>
> - Cathy Hall
>   Ottawa, Canada

Follow-Ups: References: