[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Smaller yet closer

In a message dated 1/24/00 8:36:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
maryhoey@sedonadot net writes:

<< >The moon looked closer to
 >me.  I also thought that it looked smaller than usual and
 >that it had a more 3-dimensional appearance than a full
 moon
 >does.
 When the moon looks closer, how can it look smaller?
 Philipp

 Philipp-

 It just looked like a smaller but closer object than a full
 moon.  If the full moon were a distant object, like a
 nickel -- the darkened moon looked like a penny that I could
 reach up and touch.  This doesn't seem contradictory to me.

The experiment given to schools age kids is to take an aspirin tablet (not
gelcaps) and hold it at arms length. It just fits over the moon at moonrise
or set and also at zenith. Try it - it works.