[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Telescopic meteor

Mike Linnolt wrote:
> Last night, while observing comet L3 (LINEAR), a mag 6.0 VIR came right
> down the center of field of my 40x scope, right over the top of the
> comet! It left a persistent train for 3 seconds. It was neat to see the
> little whorls and motions in the train, apparently due to the mixing of
> the ionized gases and debris in the wake of the meteor. In fact, for a
> few seconds the mag 12.3 comet had a nice 1° long tail!

That's one of the attraction of telescopic observing.  Seeing a bright
meteor and the structure and motion of the persistent train is always
thrilling.  You're seeing it as if it were about 2 km away.

If you do have the path plotted against the stars, I could it the data
to the telescopic records.  There aren't that many telescopic Virginid
observations.

Malcolm

Follow-Ups: References: