[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: What? A Leonid storm in *1886*?!?

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary W. Kronk <kronkg@medicine.wustldot edu>

> 3. Perhaps Kingsmill was using a different calendar system. Some countries
> did not switch from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar immediately
> following 1582. In fact, the Soviet Union did not switch until 1918 and
> Greece did not switch until 1923. This makes astronomical research quite
> challenging at times. It is interesting to note that if Kingsmill was
still
> using the Julian calendar, then a conversion of his November 15 date to
the
> Gregorian calendar would result in a date of November 27, 1886. This
> "converted" date closely matches the date of maximum of the
> Andromedid/Bielid meteor stream.

Hi Gary, hi others,

Slightly late with my reply on this thread, but just wanted to note that
Shanghai is in China (surprise!) and ....China converted to Gregorian
calendar only in 1912, well after the Kingsmill report. Thus, it can very
well be a Julian date and thus Andromedids/Bielids.

- Marco Langbroek
   Dutch Meteor Society