[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Help again [with radio meteors]

Stephanie,

I noticed some replies to your post regarding "radio meteor scatter". Some
observers prefer using the FM broadcast band signals as "beacons". While
there is merit to this method I prefer using the video carrier of TV Channel
2 (or 3 depending on your location).

You can do this using and amateur radio 6 meter "all mode" transceiver. Tune
to the video carrier frequency. This carrier is AM (amplitude modulation).
You would set your receiver to the "CW" (continuous wave/morse code) mode.
Tuning to the video carrier frequency you would hear nearby (those signals
within 100-150 miles) stations on "goundwave" as continuous tones, varying
in pitch as you tune through them. When a meteor scatter burst occurs you
will hear a "ping" that is very distinct and changes frequency (doppler
effect) as the pebble burns in.

Using TV video carriers presents several advantages over the FM broadcast
band method a)pings are very distinct ( a burst of "tone" which varies
depending on whether the meteor is approaching or moving away from the
transmitted signal) b) bursts are longer because the carrier frequency is
lower.

The disadvantage to the TV carrier method is that you need a communications
reciever or transciever so there is some cost involved while most everyone
owns at least one FM broadcast radio.

If you are interested in more information or suggestions on techniques reply
with an e-mail.

FYI, I'm a ham radio operator (extra class N4OKX) and a broadcast engineer.

Regards,

Mark S. Williams
n4okx@n4gn.com