[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re eta Lyrids

Thanks very much indeed to Takema Hashimoto for details of the abstract
that mentions the association of the eta Lyrids with IRAS-Iraki-Alcock!!!

Five of the six photographic meteor orbits that I'd stumbled across a few
months back are bound to be the same as those _already_ discovered in the
_original_ Japanese conference poster in the 1980's.

It is interesting to note that the abstract reads as if the eta Lyrids are
a shower already known to Japanese observers, over and above any possible
association with IRAS-Iraki-Alcock.

I've just noticed that the derived orbits for the photographic meteors are
all parabolic or _just_ hyperbolic, though I don't know if that has any
significance.  Three possible radar meteors also exist and have elliptical
elements with probable periods of around 40, 90 and 350 years.

The fact that observers of such long and deep experience as Marco Langbroek
and others in the Delphinus team have observed the eta Lyrids on a fairly
regular basis is proof enough of their existence for me!  As I noted, the
above abstract also suggests the shower is known to NMS observers[?]

Cheers

John

John Greaves
UK