[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re2 : eta Lyrids

Dear John,

Well, yes.  Japanese visual observer found that some minor meteor shower
was active around Lyra in May since 1970's.  We called it "May Lyrids"
or "Alpha Lyrids" and noticed it.  When the comet IRAS-Araki-Alcock came,
Mr. C.Shimoda had caught many unusual echos.  After that Mr. K.Ohtsuka
published the association of the Eta Lyrids with IRAS-Araki-Alcock, so
we know.  In my investigation, "May Lyrids" have two peaks, which
occured about May 10 and late in May. I may think that the former peak is
associated with comet IRAS-Araki-Alcock.  I'm interested in relation of
long periodic comet with meteor shower.

Clear skies,  Takema.

On Sun, 07 May 2000 17:57:23 +0000
JG <jgts@jgws.totalserve.codot uk> wrote:

> Thanks very much indeed to Takema Hashimoto for details of the abstract
> that mentions the association of the eta Lyrids with IRAS-Iraki-Alcock!!!
>
> Five of the six photographic meteor orbits that I'd stumbled across a few
> months back are bound to be the same as those _already_ discovered in the
> _original_ Japanese conference poster in the 1980's.
>
> It is interesting to note that the abstract reads as if the eta Lyrids are
> a shower already known to Japanese observers, over and above any possible
> association with IRAS-Iraki-Alcock.
>
> I've just noticed that the derived orbits for the photographic meteors are
> all parabolic or _just_ hyperbolic, though I don't know if that has any
> significance.  Three possible radar meteors also exist and have elliptical
> elements with probable periods of around 40, 90 and 350 years.
>
> The fact that observers of such long and deep experience as Marco Langbroek
> and others in the Delphinus team have observed the eta Lyrids on a fairly
> regular basis is proof enough of their existence for me!  As I noted, the
> above abstract also suggests the shower is known to NMS observers[?]

thashi@din.or.jp  Hashimoto, Takema
Minor Meteor Shower Circular(MMSC)