[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Bright fireball over NYC area on Saturday, May 6th?

    I received two reports this morning from two people in the lower Hudson
Valley of New York state, referring to a large and very bright meteor that
appeared at, or just after 9:30 p.m. EDT on Saturday evening, May 6th.  Both
gentlemen commented on the abnormally large angular size of the object (one
of them described it as a "flying tank or boxcar-like object:  " . . . I
thought it might have landed in Newark!") . . . one said it was colorless
(white) while the other said it had a slight greenish hue. It apparently left
a long-enduring trail of at least several seconds in duration.  Both
described it as being visible in the southern sky, moving on a general
east-northeast to west-southwest trajectory (or from left to right across
their line of sight).  One of them said he hadn't seen anything like it since
the "Great Fireball of April 25, 1966."

    Both thought that the switchboard of the Hayden Planetarium would have
lit-up immediately after the object flared across the sky and waited until
this morning to call in their respective sightings and were surprised when I
said "no, you are the only two calls we've received so far."

-- joe rao