[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) High rates

Norman,

    You said that the meteor observers that tend to see more bright
meteors
should not expect much increased rates with increased LMs. With all due
repspect, you're much more experienced than I am, I disagree. I think
that
with increased LM your distance from the center of field of view where
you
can still see a meteor of a given magnitude also increases. For example
if you can see a +2 mag meteor out to 50 degrees with LM +6.0, you might

be able to see the same meteor 60 degrees out with LM +7.0, simply
because
the meteor will appear brighter. While the increase in the number of
meteors
will probably not be as significant as with a bottom-heavy observer, it
should still be there.
   Speaking of the increase in numbers, by what factor does the number
of
sporadic meteors increase with a one magnitude gain in LM? This factor
should be quite different for different observers...
  And the last thing, if the meteor observer's perception varies through

the night (which it obviously does...), how are the results used then? I
mean
if Gates' perception ranged from 2.8x to 5.0x (yikes...), then he didn't
display
the typical rise in sporadic numbers through the night...? How are such
results used. And how are results from bottom-heavy observers compared
with the top-heavy (??) observers? If nothing else, the population index
is
quite different...

Lots of questions, but I think there are more people who would like to
know that...

Clear skies!!

Jure A.