[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lists and Archives re meteory things

Thanks to Lew for advice on how to use www.astroarchive.com !properly!

I hadn't had sense to think of using the search facility there!  [Oh and
yes, my last mail was my last word afore going to kip  :-0zzz ]

As Lew says, this is a fairly good way to check up on old meteorite and
meteorobs stuff, amongst others.

Some of the lists named there are no longer extant via that route, cos
they've gone on to "egroups",

so, if people want to read IMO list stuff, and aren't subscribers, try
this URL:

http://www.egroups.com/messages/imo-news/

and for stuff that involves bigger space rocks than meteorites, try:

http://www.egroups.com/messages/mpml/

for the minor planet mailing list : both used to be via astroarchives I
believe.

Other internal links at the above sites give advanced look up
facitlities and thread indices and search capabilities and
what-have-yous.

Now, Robert Verish Wrote :

> While we wait for that discussion summary from John,
> allow me (one of those people who are on both Lists)
> to comment on those exchanges that occurred on the
> Meteorite List. In short, the majority of people on
> that List hold to the views AND the terminology as
> expressed by Lew, here, on this subject. It is my
> opinion that a summary of the exchanges that occurred
> on that List would show that much of the discussion
> was in regards to a minority attempting to justify
> their opinions and terminology.
>
> More of a prediction and less of an opinion, but this
> same summary may show that this so-called "resolution
> of the issue" may be more a matter of "all sides on
> the issue declared victory".

and he's most probably quite right!!!!

I may have just accidentally stumbled upon one of the good mails at the
time, and missed out on the general background argy-bargy. [That is,
read the one that seemed to get it right in detail, and then not
bothered to read anymore, thus missing out on any disagreement(s)].

I barely check the meteorites list archive no more.  Although there is
some very good stuff on it at times, it is not as "happy" a list as
meteorobs.

Folk like Ron Baalke who mail to it are interesting voices of reason,
[these sometimes *seem* to be his private listings, as opposed to the
general NASA press info he also sends to many lists].

It's also a collectors' list though.  Yet still, most of the collectors
seem nice enough folk, but the list seems to be beleagured by some folk
of very strong opinion who are not daunted by the proverbial "ugly
little fact", indeed don't seem to care about said!

The point being?  Well, basically if you look at the archives of that
list for some info, and you just happen to catch it in the middle of an
argument eg. about who should be allowed to buy Canadian meteorites, or
"shill bidding" (a US phrase?), [or US gun laws at one instance for that
matter!], don't give up on it, cos there is some damn good stuff hidden
in there from time to time, from damn good people, you may just have to
search a bit.  Be warned though, some of the meteorite list folk seem to
vehemently hate each others guts! (And don't _ever_ be responsible for
accidentally posting a virus to the meteorite list if you don't like
being called very rude names indeed!!!!  Now, that one did get very
needlessly nasty, and I was glad I was on the outside looking in!  I
still feel sorry for the poor hapless individual concerned! Then again,
other voices of reason stuck up for said, and told the rude people to
stop being so damn stupid).

The above is my *opinion* : hopefully Robert Verish will kindly correct
any gross misrepresentation(s) that I've commited!  I should *stress*,
as Robert intimated, that the negative aspects probably just stem from a
small, but vociferous, minority. [Vociferosity often seems to be
inversely proportional to numbers in such cases ;-) ].

CCNET

Another place where little gems of far flung info can often be collected
together is CCNET, which Lew Gramer occasionally posts excerpts from on
meteorobs.  However, in my purely *personal* [and _amateur_] opinion,
sometimes it seems to be full more of pseudo-science than science,
despite the postings actually being from professional scientists!
Possibly better to let Lew Gramer pick out the best bits for you!

Cheers to all

John

John Greaves
UK