[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Meteor spectrum components

Hi Lew,

as I was at a conference in Istanbul last week (this time not on meteors :-)
which is why I can only today reply to your mail.

> Is anyone in any of the larger groups represented on the list aware of
> any amateur or pro-amateur cooperative projects in this area? Also, do
> you think Prof. Zahn would appreciate an invitation to join our forum?

Our AKM has close contacts with v. Zahn and the IAP. In fact, we built
them an image-intensified video camera + automatic meteor detection that
is used to gather data about meteors that are observe a few minutes
later with the LIDARs.

I have visited the Institute of Atmospheric Physics several times, and
most interesting was a visit during the 1998 Perseids. At that time I
could see the LIDARs in operation, which looked quite an impressive.

BTW, regarding the 'spurious' meteor activity in early March: v. Zahn is
interested in this since for some reason all three (?) papers on meteor
observation with LIDARs that have been published report about meteor
detections in early March.

To me this looks like pure chance, but v. Zahn would like to find out
whether there is another reason (i.e. enhanced activity from some
unknown source).

Cheers,
Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *