[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) OT

At 23:06 2000/09/13 EDT, you wrote:
>Recently, during a discussion on auroral activity, someone brought up a
piece
>of freeware that receives warnings and watches on the desktop.  Does anyone
>remember the name or have a link to where I can get this software?  Thanks.

I don't have it right now, but will forward a separate S & T alert which
has several URLs, one of which may lead you to it.
If you don't find it there, or from their links, try my Web site, the "Hot
News" section, for a couple more URLs.  (I don't use things like that, so
have never explored it further).

What I use are a pair of E-mail subscription alerting services, which have
done fine for me.

>AstroAlert is a free service of SKY & TELESCOPE magazine.
See our form
at http://www.skypub.com/news/astroalert/subscribe.html or send
a plain-text e-mail to majordomo@skypub.com with the following
line (and nothing else) in the body of the message:
subscribe sun-earth e-mail@address.com
replacing "e-mail@address.com" with your actual e-mail address.

For the automated Australian service, try this:
Send a message to   Majordomo@ipso.ipsdot gov.au   with the text,
subscribe rwc-aurora-alert

The Autralian service is automated, contains little info, and, of course
for those of us not on the Canadian border, has lots of false alerts.
The S&T service is manual, with a lot of info, and also contains Web links
for yet further info.

I'm subscribed to both, and they have helped me catch the several big
auroras this year.  Also, N1BUG's home page will link you to the Canopus
display, among others, and is one of the best pages when you want to look
at it manually.  His URL is    http://members.mintdot net/n1bug/

If these, or links from them, don't find it, drop a note to N1BUG, as he
keeps up with Web-based stuff more than I do.

Hope some of this helps
Shelby

Shelby Ennis, W8WN - EM77bq - KY
                w8wn@arrldot net