[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 'super observers'

I've been following the discussion regarding LM's and unreasonable claims. We sardonically tagged such persons as 'super observers' .
Interestingly, I did indeed encounter one observer who could see considerable more than most. He was brand new to Astronomy and would ask about details in the eyepiece that no beginner would normally see. With respect to meteors he would typically see more than any other observer...but how to substantiate such a claim?  The answer is and was the Opik double count method. We used three observers using audio tone generators directly to a tape recorder - so that no one would know what the other observer was seeing. His coefficient would run in the 70 to 80 percent range and most others would run 50 to 60 percent. They are indeed rare - much more common are those who would falsify data to feed their ego.
Tom