[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observing the Leonids from Florida

Hi Pete,
I certainly am planning to do all possible to observe
the Leonids on the dates mentioned.  I am thinking
that travel out to about a 100/150 mile radius in case
of inclement weather in the St. Augustine area is the
best I will be able to do.  The recent pattern of warm
weather in N. Florida combined with the warm Atlantic
ocean temp (72 degrees) have made nighttime observing
conditions very difficult along the east coast.
Without a strong cold front to clear things up and
cool things off at just the right time, fog and clouds
off the Atlantic will be a major problem locally.  I
am thinking that going westward to the Gulf of Mexico
side of the state or perhaps the panhandle might work.
 An approaching cold front is another consideration.
Again, going westward to get out from under the clouds
of a front might be necessary.  It will be touch and
go, for sure, and if needed, I will be happy to
include my phone number on an observer net to find
clear skies or compare local conditions.  Just let me
know, we may all have to work closely together to pull
this one off!  v/r, Paul Jones