[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireballs of '98

      With all the discussion of bright fireballs seen during the '98
Leonids, I thought it might be worthwhile to (again) mention the -14(?)
fireball I saw on the evening of 17/18 1998 in central Georgia, USA.
Leo had already reached a fairly good altitude and the meteor itself was
foreshortened to a considerable degree.  The wake of the meteor was
easily as wide as the full moon, and quite a bit brighter.  Along the
length of the wake, "sparkles" were quite evident and although the
"matrix" was definitely a silvery color, I would venture that almost
every color of the spectrum was visible in the "sparkles."  My
impression was of the meteor "sizzling" but I cannot state equivocally
that I heard anything electrophonic because the most vivid aspect of the
meteor was the psychological impact it had on myself and my observing
partner -- I was completely awestruck and my partner later admitted he
was a bit frightened -- the fireball seemed to be heading our way!!!  It
left a persistent train that coiled in the upper atmospheric winds for
about 12 minutes before fading from sight.  I honestly doubt that I will
ever see such a beast again in my life.
        The monster should have been visible over a wide area of the
southeastern US so I was a bit surprised that I never read or heard
anything about it.  I tend to think there are two reasons why this was
so ...the cloudy weather had just dispersed at our site in time for the
display, so there was probably quite a bit of cloud cover elsewhere, and
the event occurred at or around 3:30 AM local time.  One interesting
thing, it was followed by another fireball of -10 about twenty minutes
later that had all the same characteristics of the first one---colored
sparkles and silvery, wide wake.  That second fireball had a persistent
train of about four minutes.

Kim Youmans