[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 17th looking hopeless; latest from the ETA and AVN

the 12Z runs of the ETA and AVN are out with total cloud cover forecasts...

http://www.arl.noaadot gov/ready-bin/arlplot1.pl?metdata=Eta+40+km

I don't think I've seen a wider or denser area of cloud cover for a night from
the ETA, ever, for the East coast, on the 17th. From Maine to Florida, from
Maryland to Missouri, it's an almost solid wall of dense cloud cover on the ETA.
No areas clear enough to really justify traveling to even if one were desperate
for clearing. There literally isn't an area of less than 70% total cloud cover
east of Wisconsin or Arkansas in the entire US at 9Z the 17th on the ETA.

Of course, sucker holes may develop, and it will pay to look at satellite pics
on the 17th if you are inclined to find a hole, but it looks really bad that
night.

The  lower-resolution but longer-forecasting AVN is largely similar for the
17th, but with a bit more hope for Southern and Central Florida, depicting clear
skies there.

The 18th on the AVN is pretty poor, too, except for a decent sized "Hole" that
extends from South Carolina to Southern Virginia at 6Z on the 18th, and which
remains, with some erosion, centered over North Carolina at 12Z on the 18th.
Elsewhere generally 40%+ cloud cover is depicted but the situation is not as
bad as the 17th (though by no means good.)

John Krempasky