[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) JAS' Leonids Report

Greetings,

 As same as 1998 I'm not able to participate in JAS' camp for observing
the Leonids Meteor Shower. However, several telephone calls were
exchanged between myself and the JAS members is Al-Azraq Desert.  The
last one was just right now (with Sana'a Abdo). Last night 16-17
November 2000  (around 20 local time) they informed that the sky is
superb. However, later on at about 23 local time, they told me the sky
is totally cloudy! I was shocked since Amman was totally clear, and it
is nearly impossible to find Amman clear while Al-Azraq is cloudy! At 02
local time they told me it was still cloudy, and most of the observers
went to sleep! However, at 05 local time it was raining in Al-Azraq!
While right now (Friday 17 November at 12 local time) I was talking with
Sana'a and she told me I'm talking with you while I'm under three
blankets!!! I was really shocked since I was just outside with ordinary
clothes! Knowing that Al-Azraq is not that far from Amman! Just about
120 Km! The sky is still cloudy in Al-Azraq. We hope it will get better
this night, and we will keep you informed! I must say that from our
first observing in 1992 up to now, they sky was NEVER cloudy during the
Leonids Meteor Shower! Maybe the cloudy conditions in Al-Azraq this yeah
is an indication that there will be NOT an enhanced activity :-)! That's
it for now.

Best Wishes
Moh'd
Mohammad Shawkat Odeh.