[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Note on Observing Technique for newer observers tonight!

Two Newbie questions on sporadics counts;

1.   Other than during the Leonids,  does anyone observe/record  November
sporadic rates during a 63% (or more) illuminated moon in the AM sky ?
2.   If so, does this earlier data still leave a concern about the current low
reports of sporadics during this moon mucked event ?

I would be interested to know if anyone has this data.
   (I'm sure this would be a low priority while the Leonid data is analyzed.)

Clear skies and Fireballs,       --------~~~~~*****~~--
Dustin Brown

Lew Gramer wrote:

> Just one short note on something that's been troubling me about many of the
> non-IMO (and even IMO) observing reports trickling in... Many of these give
> observed hourly Sporadic (non-Leonid) rates which are REMARKABLY low - in
> some cases, observers watch for an hour without seeing a single Sporadic.
>
> While this is not impossible, it does worry me that some less experienced
> observers may be misidentifying Sporadics as Leonids, or - an even greater
> concern - not maintaining vigilant watch on the sky during each entire hour
> of their observing periods. I do NOT mean this to discourage anyone from
> reporting data exactly as they recorded it! But for those just heading to
> observe as they read this message, these issues are worth keeping in mind.
>
> Clear skies for tonight, everyone!
> Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: