[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids - colors?

I'm a "newbie", so kindly excuse these questions if they are off base.
Even though the duration is so short, does the temperature of the meteor
change as it advances?  If so, can this have an affect on the color we see.

What led to this question was another example of  naturally occurring color
changes.  Several years ago I visited Yellowstone National Park.  One of the
many curiousities concerned the thermal pools.  Water temperatures are near
boiling, yet bacteria survive.  The rim of the pool is yellow and the small
stream flowing from the pool has varying colorations.  The further the
stream advances from the pool, the more it cools.  The color of the bacteria
changes (mostly in a matter of a few feet) with the water temperature;
starting with yellow, then orange, red, brown, and finally black.  Different
color bacteria live exclusively in different water temperatures.

Another question.  Does the decreasing altitude of the meteor, therefore
increasing air density and water molecule presence have an affect on color
perception?

Steve

Follow-Ups: References: