[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Ondrejov backscatter radar results - My enhancement confirmed?

On 17 Nov 2000, at 16:41, Pavel Koten wrote:

> The meteor backscatter radar at the Ondrejov Observatory detected two peaks
> of the activity at the times 8:02 UT and 8:15 UT, which are almost equal.
> The following processing will show the true maximum of activity. Most of the
> observed meteors were very faint - approx. from +9 to +7 mag.

Aha! Despite being unable to prove any enhancement from my
statistically small Sporadic numbers around 8 UT on 17th, this
radar report matches precisely with the times I saw the
enhancement!

Some further notes regarding my observations:
While I recorded only 7 definite SPO during this period from 8:04-
8:36 UT, I had a strong impression of many fainter meteors at the
limit of detection (mag 6-7), which I won't officially count.  I have
observed many times from this site under almost identical
conditions (the LM's are consistently 6.6-6.7) and this is the first
time I recall perceiving this barely perceptible enhancement of very
faint background meteors.

Can anyone else attest to any such enhancement in this or other
meteor showers in the past?

Mike Linnolt