[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireballs over Ottawa...

In late December this year, 3 fireballs were witnessed on different
dates over the Ottawa (Ontario) region. What makes this interesting
is that much fewer observers are out observing during our cold
eastern Ontario nights (clear skies usually mean -20C or colder!).

At least one of them seems quite significant and was reported on Dec
26 2000 by a good number of witnesses. The next day, it actually made
a story for a major newspaper here. A reporter from that newspaper
called me asking if anything unusual was predicted to happen. People
saw the meteor under excessive shopping mall parking lot lights, but
they described it as being bright enough to easily outshine even the
brightest floodlights around them. It was described as having a head
that "spurted" with blue and green colors. It was seen going down
over the horizon.

On the morning Dec 23 at 6:51am an Ottawa amateur astronomer reported
seeing a large fireball going north-north west with large fragments
coming off of it. It was seen despite brightening dawn.

Below is someone who recently sent me this. Yet maybe another
possible fireball seen in Ottawa...

Pierre