[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sounds from Jupiter

Dear meteorobs,

If we are good scientists then we should not even call the signals which
NASA released "sounds from Jupiter." The audio they released is actually
from the radio signals created in the region of Jupiter by various
processes. But these signals never were sound until NASA created the sound
from the electromagnetic waves. Of course that is what we normally do with
radio waves on this planet and they give us a way of appreciating and
interpreting something that our senses alone cannot detect. But the sound
here is of our own creation. We could just as well use some algorithm to
change the radio signals into light.

Terry

Terry Richardson
Department of Physics and Astronomy
College of Charleston
Charleston, SC 29424
pager #937-1048
843 953-8071 phone
843 953-4824 fax
http://www.cofcdot edu/~richardt/

Office Location: Science Center Room 102

Packages must be shipped to:

Terry Richardson
College of Charleston Dept. of Physics
58 Coming St., room 101