[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sleepiness

In a message dated 1/12/01 11:27:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mlinnolt@alum.mitdot edu writes:

<<
 Whoa! Lets be careful here. No-Doz is in no way similar to Speed!
 No-Doz is just 200mg (typically) of caffeine. About equivalent to 3
 cups of instant coffee or 3 cans of Coke. Caffeine is a mild
 stimulant that works by blocking the action of adenosine, an
 inhibitory neuromodulator in the CNS. <<

I use to drink soda's with caffeine about 20 years ago. It elevated my
Systolic blood pressure by about 20 points. Stopped it cold turkey and my
blood pressure went down within two weeks and stayed down. Only on rare
occasions, usually by accident or thirst with no choice, I would drink
caffeinated drinks. I always can tell the unpleasant difference when I do.
Coffee I don't drink even if very thirsty.  Elevated blood pressure isn't
good for you either.

>>Speed (= Methamphetamine)
 is a whole different class of drug! Its effects are achieved by
 causing the release of dopamine, the neurotransmitter responsible
 for feelings of pleasure. Unfortunately, its effects are neurotoxic as
 well, destroying the nerve endings of dopamine producing cells,
 and killing other brain cells outright. This is in addition to its well
 known dangers due to tolerance and abuse!

Seen a lot of folks that were amusingly paranoid when using Crystal Meth. One
guy stabbed his arm with a butcher knife and trying to force the blood out of
his wound with his hands. I asked him what he was doing and he replied, "I'm
trying to get the bugs out of my veins". The funny thing was his wife backed
up his story....she was on it too. Outside of the paranoia, they seemed
somewhat normal. Speed is nasty stuff....don't use it for any purpose.
GeoZay