[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Sleepiness

On 12 Jan 2001, at 13:19, Terry Johnson wrote:

> I took No-Doze a couple of times back in school, otherwise known as
> 'crosstops'  A crosstop is equivalent to two cups of coffee, but the
> stimulant is artificial and is in many ways similar to 1/4 tablet of the
> drug speed!

Whoa! Lets be careful here. No-Doz is in no way similar to Speed!
No-Doz is just 200mg (typically) of caffeine. About equivalent to 3
cups of instant coffee or 3 cans of Coke. Caffeine is a mild
stimulant that works by blocking the action of adenosine, an
inhibitory neuromodulator in the CNS. Speed (= Methamphetamine)
is a whole different class of drug! Its effects are achieved by
causing the release of dopamine, the neurotransmitter responsible
for feelings of pleasure. Unfortunately, its effects are neurotoxic as
well, destroying the nerve endings of dopamine producing cells,
and killing other brain cells outright. This is in addition to its well
known dangers due to tolerance and abuse!

So, even though Speed will dilate your pupils, I sure as heck wont
be including it in my observers pharmacopeia!!!

Mike.

Follow-Ups: References: