[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: Dust trails of the Ursids - limits of a model...

Gary Kronk asked just after the New Year:
>With respect to the discrepancy between the radio observations of Lyytinen
>and Ondrejov I wonder what affects the aurora had that night? Lyytinen is
>in Finland and Ondrejov is in the Czech Republic. According to images from
>the POES satellite, there was a strong aurora on the night of Ursid maximum.

I was curious as to whether anyone had followed up on this suggestion, and
its probable effect on observed forward scatter "rates" on URS peak night?

This is with the spirit of trying to achieve the most stringent possible
confirmation of predicted results from the various models developed so far!
If these discrepancies CAN'T be explained in terms of non-meteor reflections
or other artifacts, then I would pose this question: What COULD explain the
significant discrepancy between forward-scatter data showing a peak, and
backscatter data (which should presumably be more sensitive) showing essen-
tially flat activity during those critical hours...

I recall one poster suggesting that it would make sense to expect a fairly
significant mode in the flux diagram, centered just near the point at which
the forward-scatter instrumentation would have had its greatest sensitivity.
Were there any other data (or for that matter, model predictions) to support
this proposed explanation?

Lew Gramer