[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: January Coma Berenicids and the Xi Bootids

Dustin and All,

If you are seriously thinking of observing telescopically then I would
use the binoculars. The wider field of view would allow you to see much
more activity plus you would still see meteors down to perhaps 8th
magnitude. I would not aim you binoculars directly at the suspected
radiant. Rather with the small field of view I would suggest fields that
are at least 15-20 degrees away. Very little activity will be seen
through binoculars directed at the radiant. Advanced telescopic
observers plot the meteors they see. They shift fields once an hour so
that the areas surrounding the suspected radiant are covered. After the
watch they can then combine these plots on to one chart to see if any
numerous intersections appear. If so then the suspected radiant is
confirmed.

If an observer is new to observing then I would suggest starting with
naked eye observing. Once they have gained experience with wide field
observing then they could try telescopic observing. It would also seem
wise to me to start telescopic observing during a major shower so that
there is a lot of activity available to be seen through the binoculars.
After seeing a few hundred telescopic meteors then they would be ready
to attempt low activity sessions and perhaps even plot the activity they
see.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford

Dustin Brown wrote:

> I have 7x35 binoculars and a 6 inch F/8 Criterion reflector telescope.   The
> binoculars provide an 8 degree Field.    I'm thinking of trying the binoculars
> directed at the radiant.  I haven't tried meteor observing with magnification
> prior to this.  Does anyone think the telescope (or naked eye) would be better?
> (I'm going to the NAMN web site to cram on how to properly do this.)
> Tonight the Pacific NW has clear skies!
> Thanks for any thoughts,
> Dustin Brown

Follow-Ups: References: