[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Telescopic Meteors (was Re: January Coma Berenicids...)

Lew said that binoculars should be mounted to observer telescopic
meteors but I've found it to be very hard on the neck, legs and back trying
to look though mounted binoculars. What I did do was adapt a small branch
from one of our pine trees to a short hand held mono pod like use. It allows
much longer observation, greatly steadies the view to near mounted results
while standing, sitting or even laying down while holding the butt end of
the mono pod or resting it against legs or lap while sitting.

     After using the branch for several weeks I carved on it and now I rarely
take the binoculars out without the mono pod. It's 24 inches long, maybe
26" would have been better, it has a 45 degree cut at the top so it can snug
into the center works and is about 1" thick. Old wooden broom or mop
handles would work but maybe start at 28" and cut down to best size. It
works great for daytime viewing too.

                                               Dave English
                                               Oceanside, California

Follow-Ups: References: