[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Telescopic Meteors (was Re: January Coma Berenicids...)

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Lew Gramer wrote in reply to Dustin:
> again I recommend you try the naked-eye methods first. (Keep in mind that
> associating meteors with a shower is no easy thing even naked-eye: Doing
> it at the eyepiece is essentially impossible, especially if there is no
> exact radiant point that has yet been determined for the given shower!)

It's actually better that you don't make the shower assignment at
the eyepiece.  The plotted trails allow objective criteria to assess
shower assignment.  The criteria can also change, something that's not
possible with an on-the-spot decision.

Dustin Brown wrote:
> I have 7x35 binoculars and a 6 inch F/8 Criterion reflector telescope.   The
> binoculars provide an 8 degree Field.    I'm thinking of trying the binoculars
> directed at the radiant.

Don't observe telescopically at the radiant.  You'll see far more if
move 15-25 degrees away.  Some visual observers have their centre of
vision at major-shower radiants.  That's feasible because the naked eye
has a much wider field of view than telescopes.

Malcolm