To: Lew Gramer <dedalus@latrade.com>
Cc: International Meteor Organization News <imo-news@imodot net>
From: Pavol Habuda <bzucino@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:38:32 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [IMO-News] Reviving the old "where to look" discussion (NOT!)

Dear Lew

> A statement was made not too long back, the effect
> that looking more than
> 15 degrees away from a radiant begins to introduce
> measurable errors when
> the observe attempts to trace meteors back to that
> radiant.

By my meaning better question looks why we don`t make
bigger errors if we watch the shower meteors near the
radiant. By my meaning meteors close radiant we see
close to middle of centre of eye vision. The more we
are far from centre, the bigger are errors of setting
the orientation of catched meteor. When in the middle
each element of vision (I don`t know english name for
it, sorry) has his own thread to brain, at the
periphery belongs one thread to about 1000 elements
(try to put two bright elements (bubls) in various
angular distances one from another, and you can test
your angular resolution with respect to angular lenght
from your centre of vision (it`s called yellow spot,
am I right?). It means the shorter meteor on
periphery, the lower accuracy you can obtain.

Yours Sincerelly
Pavol Habuda

From IMO-News: http://www.egroups.com/list/imo-news

------- End of Forwarded Message