[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) most memorable

   Most recently was the 1998 Leonid Fireball Shower. My wife Lynne, and
our friends Dave and Kyoko from the Hawaian Astronomical Society watched
from the slopes of Mauna Kea on the peak morning of November 16/17, 1998.
It started off mostly cloudy, but cleared up nicely. When we arrived at the
Onizuka Reception Center at about 2:30am, there were people everywhere, and
Lynne and I were worried that we wouldn't get a good view. Luckly, because
Dave and Kyoko were from the Hawaian Astronomical Society, they new a nice
spot nearby that was secluded. By 3:00am local time, we were at a place that
looked like another planet. All around us were old volcanic cinder cones and