[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: memorable meteors

Hello all,

Here 's my list of most special meteor events:

1) Leonid fireball shower 1998 from China (the fireballs, the setting (Radio
Observatory at Delingha, Quinhai province) , the spectaculair landscape and
the warm welcome of the
people there!) This night I observed ~900 meteors, amongst them 99 of -3 or
brighter (up to -12).
2) Perseïd outburst 1993 from the Provence, southern France. A beautifull
night and for the first time observing together with Marco Langbroek and
Casper ter Kuile. Really nice experience!
3) Leonid 1999 outburst from Xalos, Spain. Many meteors up to 40-50 a
minute. I Observed  2000 meteors that night.
4) Quadrantids 1995 observed at Biddinghuizen in  the Netherlands.
5) Leonid 1995/alpha Monocerotid outburst from alcudia de Guadix , Spain.
6) 1984 observing campaign from Puimichel, Southern France. In my opinion,
that year the Capricornids put on a nice show with many bright meteors. The
rates were normal, maybe a bit higher than normal (up to 7 an hour).  I did
see five nice Capricornid fireballs in the period 25-30 july that year, the
brightest a bluewish Capricornid with three flares (-4, -5 and -8).
7) Geminids 1996. Ten hours of observing and I counted ~1000 meteors.
8) Leonids 1996. In search of claer sky's we drove 600 km and fortunally
(during al clearing of 1,5 hour) we did see a nice Leonid shower from
Woignarue, NW France. Many bright ones, but also many weak ones.
9) Perseïds 1986 observed at Puimichel, Southern France. Three very clear
nights (with a strong mistral wind) , lm up to 7.0.
10) Perseïds 1983 observed at Harderwijk, the Netherlands. Our first
succesfull Perseid campaign as a team.
11) Perseïds 1997 from Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands: 9 clear nights on a
row.

The most beautiful meteor, well thats difficult. I'll think the -12 Leonid
in the morning of 17th  november or a -8 Taurid fireball (abs, magn. -12) on
8 november 1981 (captured on photo by Klaas Jobse, really the most beautiful
picture of a Taurid fireball ever! ), the earlyër mentioned -8 Capricornid
and
a -10 sporeadic fireball observed at Puimichel 13 august 1985.

Best wishes,
Koen Miskotte,
De Heuvel 6,
3853  EW  Ermelo,