[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Stars

When I checked the sky at about 6:15 UT I was so pleased to see stars
for the first time in a month that I got out my lawn chair and setup
with winter clothes to just enjoy it.  The sky was its usual washed out
and light polluted.  The seeing must have been very poor because
Arcturus was doing a real dance.  I had to endure the neighbors turning
on and off their outdoor lights and at one point their studio lights
which are bright enough that I could read a newspaper by them.  At times
I shielded my face from them by holding up a star atlas which also
shielded me from part of the cold sky.  It felt warm.  I could barely
see Spica.  At about 6:40 UT I was rewarded by a nice second magnitude
meteor.  I thought it might be an antihelion meteor but a subsequent
check of star maps indicated it wasn't unless the radiant of these
meteors is an area over 20 degrees in diameter.  I sat there and enjoyed
the moon rise till about seven UT.  I am located in Southern California
near Pasadena. West 118o 03.5' North 34o 07.5'  for those who want to
know. 8-)      Robert G.