[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Lyrids from Alajuela, Costa Rica

Dear meteor fans,
This is a note to let you all know what we saw in a short period last night.
Approximate location  Latitude 10°N, Longitude 84°W
Time: 1:30-2:00 a.m. April 21st.
Under very clear but light polluted skies three adults and a youth set out to
"practice" watching the Lyrids in anticipation of the next night.

We were in the house patio in the city of Alajuela, surrounded by walls, so we
could only view a central East-West strip of the sky. We identified the radiant
area. With  Leo setting, Bootes and Ophiucus overhead, we all laid down and
started counting. We saw 4 lyrids and 3 sporadics (?) in that first half an
hour.
It was a very windy night, unusual for this time of the year. We brought covers
to protect us from the cold and... dozed off to the dream world, waking up from
time to time to check on the weather conditions and comment with the others, who
were also fighting off the sleepiness.

We will try to keep the vigil longer tonight and hope the weather is as good.
Thank you to all your messages, watching meteor showers has become a wonderful
part of our life. We still have a lot to learn....

Alejandra León Castellá
Fundación CIENTEC
--
  __             http://www.cientec.or.cr