[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) April 21/22, 2001 observation from Maryland, USA

Hello everyone,

   Unfortunately, sky conditions were marginal this morning, but I did get
an opportunity to see some Lyrids, including a fireball that was in the –6
or –7 neighborhood.  The F statistic, 1.27, makes too negative a description
of the sky quality, I believe.  For the most part, most of the clouds I saw
permitted +4 stars to be seen through them, so the clouds were far from
opaque.
   I had to wait 59 minutes to see the first Lyrid, a +2 point meteor.  When
it appeared, the radiant was above 60 degrees in altitude.
   The brightest meteors were a –5 sporadic and the –6/-7 Lyrid.  The latter
flared behind me.  Its flash caught my attention and I saw the FB’s –1
magnitude bluish train.  It contained two streaks, so I suppose the FB had
two terminal bursts.  The train lasted about 3 seconds that allowed me to
trace its path from its location in Ursa Major back to the Lyrid radiant.

April 22, 2001   6:27- 9:12 UT   Teff=2.75   F=1.27   Lm=5.0   Central
vision was RA 17h, Dec +17 degrees for a lot the session.   Site was
McKendree, Maryland, USA ( IMO Site # 25112)   Temperature was +13 C/ +56 F.

                             Magnitude Distribution
                 -6/-7     -5   ..    0   +1   +2   +3      TOTAL

LYR               1         0         0    0    2   1        4

SPO               0         1         0    1    0   1        3

Best wishes,

Rich