[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor observation - Eta Aquarids Watch - 28/29 April 2001

    The ASV Meteor Section and the ASF Meteor Group met last night at our Cannibal Hill observing site, Garfield North, Victoria, for a 4 hour meteor observing session including a few hours of Eta Aquarid observing.

Observers Present:    Adam Marsh, Roger Vodicka, Lance Kelly and Martin Rudd.
Session Times:         0005 to 0440.
Highlights:               Two Fireballs, one -3 and one -4.   and
                               6 Eta Aquarids

    We all met at the car park that leads to the observing site at about 23.15 hours and headed off on our climb to our observing area, a rock outcropping at the top of Cannibal Hill, elevation 350 meters, which faces north to east, the perfect setting for the Eta Aquarids.
    The climb to the top took about 20 minutes, up a well worn track.  After set-up we began our first hours observing at 0005 hours.  Around 15 meteors were seen in the first hour, including some good activity from the Librids Radiant.
    The second hour went from 0110 to 0210 with higher meteor rates, around 20 per hour were seen.  The highlight was at the start of that hour at 0112 with a great -3 yellow fireball seen heading down to the south east.
    The third hour from 0225 to 0325 had similar rates, also with a surprise.  At 0311 a -4/-5 yellow/green fireball was seen by all observers, bringing a few cheers to the hillside, seen heading down to the eastern horizon.
    The Eta Aquarid activity started up in the 4th hour with 6 seen between 0325 and 0425.  Sporadic rates were also high with total rates for the hour at around 25.  The night ended at 0440 after seeing a few more Eta's.

Due to the current aurora warning we also had our eye on any possible aurora, however none were visible to us.

Overall, a cold but great nights observing.  The Eta Aquarids are certainly active, and will become more so, as the days count down towards their maximum, the mornings of the 5th and 6th of May.

Adam Marsh
Director - ASV Meteor Section

Adam Marsh (MARAD)

  armarsh@jeack.com.au

  Director  - ASV Meteor Section (ASVMS).

  Coordinator - Eastern Australian Meteor Network (EAMN).

  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

  ASV Meteor Section - Homepage

  http://www.geocities.com/vodickar/ASVMSHomepage.htm

  EAMN Mail List - Moderator: Richard Pollard

  http://www.egroups.com/group/EAMN