[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation May 1/2

Hi!

	As this was the last night with a reasonable amount of dark skies
and ETA activity picking up, I decided to observe for almost 3 hours teff.
The sky was very clear, allowing LMs as deep as 6.0 with the moon still
rather high up. The sky started with LM 6.0 at 23:38UT, some 2h before
the moon set, plunging to 6.4 when the moon set.
	Activity was much better than several days ago. Even with the moon
up, the first hour produced 8 (bright) meteors. The highlight of the
period was a -3m sporadic fireball at 23:55:17 UT. It started as an orange
+2m meteor in Draco, slowly traveled into Cepheus, brightening to 0m with
a -3m blue  burst midway in its flight.
	During the second hour the sky was becoming darker. Also the
activity increased. The best meteor of the period was a 60 degrees long 0m
yellowgreen ETA grazer low in the north. Another good meteor was a +1m
northern apex  sporadic that left a 1 second train.
	The third period was by far the most active. I saw no less than
three more long ETAs, a -1m sporadic meteor in Cassiopea and several apex
sporadics. The best were a +1m ETA in Cygnus at 2:20UT, a swift +1.5m
northern apex in UMa at 4:20UT and a +0.5m orange sporadic with a 4 second
train in Aquila at 2:28UT.

The summary:
Period		F	teff	LM	ETA	SAG	Spor
23:38-00:38UT	1.11	0.98	5.97	-	0	8
00:38-01:38UT	1.11	0.98	6.25	1	0	12
01:38-02:28UT	1.11	0.82	6.19	3	2	12
			2.78		4	2	32

Magnitude distribution:
Spor:	-3(1) -1(1)  0(2.5) +1(5.5) +2(2.5) +3(7.5) +4(4) +5(6.5) +6(1.5)
ETA:	 0(1) +1(1) +2(0.5) +3(1.5)
SAG:	+3(1) +4(1)

Clear skies!

Jure A.