[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: A meteor near M45

Hi Christophe !

> A friend of mine (Philippe Schwemling <schwemli@lpnp86.in2p3.fr) send a few
> days ago a very interesting image (I think so) to the french webcam mailing
> list "Astrocam". He was trying some video captures of the well known Messier
> 45 object - the Pleiades - with a little webcam on a 50 mm lens.

A very nice image, indeed!

> As he was
> busy with the laptop, he saw a bright flash for a fraction of seconde on the
> screen ... When looking at the file, he had the good chance to see a meteor,
> probably unvisible with the naked eyes, but well visible on a single image.

I would say it was mag 4, in fact. I don't really know how does an image is
capted with a CCD camare, but by comparing it with M45, just near, I would say
it's visible with naked eye. But maybe several pictures have been put together,
and only a single one of the meteor, and in that case, you're right it mustn't
have been visible...
But amazing, that's the word, and quite rare. I remember of a similar photgraphy
in a book I reac. It was M31 that was photographied with a meteor, but with a
bigger telescope, and more chance (I think it's in Gabriele Vanin's book, Les
meilleures images de l'univers.)

> Comments are welcome !

This is one. Hoping it had been welcomed!

A plus!

Karl.