[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Olcott showers

I recently noticed that my old 1917 copy of "A Field Guide of the
Stars", by William Tyler Olcott lists at the end of each season meteor
showers.  He says "The showers that are to be seen after midnight are,
unless of special note, omitted".  Since this is a particularly dry
period for meteor observing I thought you might be interested in one of
the showers he mentioned.
Name of shower = Iota Pegasids, well defined shower
Date = May 30
Radiant Point = Between Cygnus and the Great Square
Characteristic = Swift, Streak leaving meteors
Other Dates of Observation = May 29 -June 4 after 10 P.M.
Location = N.E.
    The moon will not rise till about the same time as the beginning of
twilight this year so it offers a good challenge.

    He also mentions the Beta Herculids and the Beta Ophiuchids on June
7 and June 10  respectively.  However these are unsuitably positioned
with respect to the moon.

Name of Shower = Delta Cepheids
Date = June 20
Radiant Point = About 13o from beta Cassiopeiae
Characteristic = Swift
Other Dates of Observation = Jun 10-28, July 19, Aug. 25, etc.
Direction = N.

This book was the only reference for constellations that I knew of back
in the early thirties.  It is mentioned in the writing of the amateurs
of the day such as Peltier and Paul.  I paid $2.00 for it, but it took
the better part of the year for me to save up two dollars from my paper
route money.
    I hope this is not out of place for our group.