[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sporadic "shower" mnemonics (was Re: (meteorobs) July 18, 2001 Meteor Observations From California)

Bob Lunsford wrote:
>0730-0830 UT   0.91  6.94    1 ACG 1 ANT 2 CAP 0 NDA 3 NPX 0 PAU
>                             0 PER 1 SDA 1 SPX 5 SPO  14 TOTAL

Bob, are "npx" and "spx" your prefered 3-letter mnemonics for the North and
South Apex designators? I have been using "nax" and "sax" up until now - but
I will happily switch, if you'd care to establish a new standard. :)

PS: For folks new to these "sporadic radiants", they are used to identify two
very loose classifications for fast-moving, "true Sporadic" (i.e., non-shower)
meteors which can be observed every night of the year. The big "radiant areas"
for these two sporadic classes are given each week in Bob's "Meteor Outlook".
There is also one other (slower-moving) Sporadic class recommended by Bob for
more experienced observers, the "Anthelion" (or anti-helion) "radiant" 'ant'.

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: