[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NASA Science News: "Meteorites Don't Pop Corn"

At 02:08 PM 7/27/01 -0400, Lew Gramer wrote:

>Also featured is Jim Richardson's excellent geographic map of the
>fireball sightings collected (directly, and through other sources
>like 'meteorobs') by the AMS......

and:

>PS: One small suggestion: A brief note on the other organizations
>and fora which are assisting in the collection of witness reports,
>would be a nice addition to the story, and to the AMS site.

This is a rather puzzling remark;

The only reports that I used on Tuesday to create the "push-pin" map were
those sent directly to the AMS via our on-line form.   By that time, I had
more than 150 reports (as I indicated earlier), which was more than enough
to answers the questions I wanted to address at that time.  I had not
received any reports from other organizations, nor did use the reports that
had passed by on MeteorObs (such as the note from FIDAC).  Additionally,
you were still referring all MeteorObs and Meteorite-List email list
members to make their reports to the IMO FIDAC, so I can't say that you
were even trying to steer folks in our direction.

As you should know, I am very keen on referencing *all* of my sources in my
work, and giving credit (and often co-authorships) to anyone who
collaborates with me or performs a service for myself or the AMS. I also
try to go out of my way to thank and give credit to all those who do
volunteer work for us or make contributions to us.

The assumption upon which you based the above remarks is incorrect, and
your admonishment is unnecessary.  I'll give thanks and full credit when
credit is due.

Regards,

      Jim

James Richardson
Department of Planetary Sciences
Lunar and Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ  85721

LPL email:  jrich@lpl.arizonadot edu
LPL office:  (520) 621-6960
Home office:  (520) 877-2715 or 877-2555
Cell phone:  (520) 401-9095
Home page:  http://www.lpl.arizonadot edu/~jrich/

Operations Manager
American Meteor Society (AMS)