[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid rate predictor URL (Daniel Fischercomments regarding Jenniskin)

(Sorry about this OT, but I feel strongly to respond to this
inaccurate post.)

If you are referring to NASA administrator Dan Goldin, I can assure
you he does not "take orders" from the CIA, FBI or any other
agency. He is the director of an independent federal agency,
reporting to the President of the US. While Mr. Goldin's tenure at
NASA has certainly been controversial, he also has been charged
with a challenging job of creating a "faster, better, cheaper" agency
under the pressure of a $3 billion budget cut. In fact, one of his
goals has been to cut out the old guard establishment of
bureauocratic "automatons", replacing them with managers of a
more entrepreneurial spirit. He is openly disdainful of special
interests who try to control the agency's direction.

I worked for him during his term as the head of TRW's Space and
Defense Sector.  It was his promotion of cutting edge technology,
reducing the costs, risks and time to flight at TRW that got him the
job at NASA. I can assure you he is an able, ethical administrator.
In fact, he did not buckle under pressure when prior NASA officials
(OSSA) attempted to influence top TRW management to kill
Goldin's study against large satellites for the EOS system. Of
course, shortly after taking control at NASA, Goldin then
dismantled OSSA as his first step to streamline the agency!

In conclusion, Mr. Goldin's track record supports that of an
independent minded visionary leader, not a lackey under the arm of
the DoD or NSA. I dont work for Dan anymore, therefore have no
motivation to say this except to report the facts as they are.

Mike Linnolt