[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) technique

Tom wrote:

>There are also the REM's right before you fall asleep in your lounge >chair
>  :-)

Actually Tom, those are not REMs.. we refer to them as SEMs.. Slow Eye
Movements and are the first obvious physiological cue that the brain
is about to enter Stage 1 of sleep.  We use them to indicate 'sleep onset'
and are also refered to as 'rolling eye movements'.  REM is an entirely
different phemom.

One of my concerns as a meteor observer, statistician and sleep researcher
is how fatigue, sleep deprivation and circadian
factors influence the reliability of visual observations. (there have been
numerous studies showing circadian factors influencing the number of
mistakes made by workers, esp shift workers). We discussed that here several
years ago.

Joseph
UCSD Dept of Psych
Sleep Research Lab