[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Zen and the Art of Meteor Observing (was technique)

There have been some practical threads of late.  Can one of the main
meteor sites compile a set of these tips and ideas such as talking
clocks, shoestrings, observing directions, drinks etc. for the benefit
of observers.  Even with a search engine on meteorobs it's not easy
finding the relevant information, especially if you don't know what to
look for, and there's lots of discussion to wade through.

> > perception. The centrally important concept is attention. Basically,
> > you want to concentrate as much attention as possible on the meteors.
> > There are four ways of increasing attention:
> >
> > 1. Increase base-level attention: don't fall asleep. Take caffeine.
> >
> > 2. Eliminate external distractions. This is really important! Few
> >
> > 3. Eliminate internal distractions. This is also important. When
> >
> > 4. Concentrate attention on the non-foveal field of view. This is also

On Chris's technique (summarised above), it's not a revelation for me.
I do try to adopt 2 to 4, especially 2 & 3 for telescopic observation.
The smaller apparent field of view makes 4 less of a factor compared
with visual observing, but it still helps.  On the music front, I work
in silence while observing, but I've noticed that my productivity at
work during evenings goes up when I listen to "space" ambient music.
It acts like a stimulant instead of the caffeine, which I don't take.
It washes over me because there are no diverting words to parse or
strong beat to distract.  I've not tried this during observing, but
it's worth a try.

When very tired, 4) is hardest to achieve, and for time to time I've
found myself focussed intently on a bright star.  Then I know it's time
for a break or to go to bed.

It's been known in telescopic circles for 35 years that one can have
high-concentration sessions for perhaps 15 minutes where the observed
rate can double or triple.  However, they are exhausting.  Like many
things, the more you practise the more proficient you become.  Of
course, if you do try the Zen technique, your normal perception factor
doesn't apply.  So don't forget to note if you used this technique when
submitting observations.

"Think meteors" is how I can obtain good telescopic rates.  If your mind
is cluttered with lots of other things, you miss many meteors, which in
turn makes you bored and tired, missing more.  It comes with practise
as evident in novice observers' rates increasing.  Mark Vints had an
article in WGN on his experiences around 1990.

On 2), I certainly saw fewer than normal telescopic meteors during the
1998 Leonids.  My tongue-in-cheek remarks following the fireball fest
had an element of truth to them.

On the perception factors, I've been in groups where I've seen 100+
meteors and the next highest is about 30, with several under twenty.
So that's partly technique and partly inherent ability to see faint
moving objects and good peripheral vision.

> > So what's a poor observer to do? My strategy involves several
> > components. First, stop looking at constellations and see only a
> > random collection of stars. As soon as you impose the mental construct
> > of a constellation on your visual field

Through the telescope I don't see constellations.  However, for
plotting one needs to recognise the star patterns and asterisms so
that the paths may be plotted accurately and efficiently.  If I can't
readily match the visible path to the chart, I waste time and lose
accuracy.  I try to observe the field of view, not the stars, which is
I think what Chris suggests.  I only home in the stars when a meteor
appears, to define the track.

Malcolm Currie