[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: technique

Chris,

WOW! This was really an eye opener. Now I know why the IMO visual
handbook recommends no music or conversation during observing sessions.

We must remember though that observing should be enjoyable and not a
chore. If we must "work" to observe then it becomes a chore. If it adds
to the pleasure and relaxation of observing by having music in the
background then I see no harm. I'm certainly guilty of this but my music
is very low for the same reasons Chris gave!

I am going to give Chris's method a try to see what happens. Hopefully I
won't get a headache as I too am not into meditation. Still it looks
interesting especially if it provides higher rates during those dreadful
spring months!

Chris, thanks for taking the time to share this useful information with
us.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford

Chris Crawford wrote:

>      I have experimented with the "Zen" mode on occaision - that
>      is to fix the eye in one spot near a chosen star and not
>      move at all. This does some peculiar things to the retina
>      and perceptionwhich I am sure some of you can put a
>      technical description to.
>
> I've done a lot of personal experimentation in this direction, and
> there's a lot of applicable material from the psychology of
> perception. The centrally important concept is attention. Basically,
> you want to concentrate as much attention as possible on the meteors.
> There are four ways of increasing attention:
>
> 1. Increase base-level attention: don't fall asleep. Take caffeine.
>
> 2. Eliminate external distractions. This is really important! Few
> observers realize just how debilitating distractions can be.
> Conversation is the worst offender here, because you lose attention to
> the listening process as well as to the parsing process. If you were
> to graph the CoP on a millisecond-by-millisecond basis, I am certain
> that it would plummet for the duration of the utterance plus a few
> hundred milliseconds afterwards. During conversation, you are as good
> as blind. Therefore, when I observe, I prefer to be alone, or at least
> with gagged colleagues. It's also a good idea to wear earplugs,
> although where I live, the nocturnal activities of the mountain lions
> make this an act beyond my courage. But in any case, you want to
> eliminate all sounds.
>
> 3. Eliminate internal distractions. This is also important. When
> you're thinking about your job, your love-life, or what you're going
> to have for breakfast, you are diverting attention from the visual
> field to the internal processing. This requires great mental
> discipline, but if you can keep from thinking, empty your mind, and
> shut down everything but eyeballs and visual cortex, you'll see more
> meteors.
>
> 4. Concentrate attention on the non-foveal field of view. This is also
> difficult, as we are inclined to increase foveal attention when we are
> alert. Imagine the following scenario: you are asleep in bed when you
> hear a strange noise somewhere in the house. Frightened, you get up to
> investigate, but you leave the lights off. As you prowl through the
> house, your attention is maximized -- but you manifest it by darting
> your eyes about frenetically. Given the dark surroundings, you really
> would be better off using peripheral vision, but you  cannot prevent
> yourself from concentrating your attention on the high-resolution,
> low-sensitivity foveal image.  The same basic problem arises with the
> meteors. Most people try to watch the meteors by darting their fovea
> all over the field of view. This is actually counterproductive, as the
> peripheral photoreceptors have a slower response time than the foveal
> ones. In other words, whenever you dart the fovea to a different point
> in the visual field, the central 2 degrees covered by the fovea come
> [...]

Follow-Ups: References: