[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Image intensifiers?

On Tue, 21 August 2001, Chris Crawford wrote:
> Does anybody on this list have experience with image intensifier technology?

In my experience the low cost (and not so low cost) Russian intensifiers are
not worth having. They suffer from very soft images at the edges, are not all
that sensitive, and a waste of money.
For example, Using one similar to thge unit you mention I obtained a 25 degree
field with a 50mm lens, of which only the centre 13 degrees was any good. I
obtained 43 Leonid meteors in 2 hours during the peak of 1999 when ZHR reached
5000 or so. The unit I now use picks up about 20 per hour on a normal low rate
night in a field only 11 degrees across with superb quality, and a much lower
limiting magnitide of 8 for meteors and 9+ for stars.
Unfortuneatly I don't know what make it is, but visiually it is a serious
looking piece of kit, and I was fortuinate enough to be able to test it at
night prior to purchase. I obtained it from an Army Surplus dealer, and it was
a genuine military suprlus unit.

Jeff Lashley, Scotland, UK